Knowledge About Garden Furniture
1. History of garden furniture
The first Oldrids store was opened in Boston, Lincolnshire in 1804 by John Oldrid and Richard Hyde. The store expanded through purchase of neighboring buildings until it encompassed many separate sites, including a furniture store on New Street. The current Oldrids Boston building was constructed in 1970, following the demolition of the former building in 1969.
A move into out-of-town stores followed in the 1980s including the construction of Downtown in Wyberton Fen, on the outskirts of Boston, in 1981 and Downtown Grantham, at Gonerby Moor, in 1989. The Grantham branch was a tie up with Boundary Mill stores, who lease half of the building. A separate garden centre was added to the site in 1998.
ExpansionFurther expansion took place in 2013 when Lincolnshire Co-op decided to exit their department store business, transferring their homestore branches in Lincoln and Gainsborough to Oldrids, although retaining the leaseholds themselves. All staff transferred across as part of the deal and the stores were rebranded Downtown and Oldrids respectively.
In 2016, Central England Co-op sold their Westgate department store in Scunthorpe to Oldrids, who later rebranded it to Downtown in the September. The store had previously operated as Upton's and Binns (owned by House of Fraser), with the entrance way to the building still sporting the Binns name in stone to this day. It currently operates as the chain's outlet centre, with the top floor selling discounted products.
ClosuresIn June 2017 it was announced that the Downtown Lincoln store previously purchased from Lincolnshire Co-op would close, with Oldrids citing it as 'loss-making'. The store closed a month later.
Oldrids also announced that they would not be renewing the lease for their Gainsborough department store, leading to its closure in January 2018.
In July 2020, Oldrids announced that their original Boston department store would not reopen following the COVID-19 pandemic in an attempt to ensure the future viability of the business, bringing to an end the use of the Oldrids brand name and their two hundred year history in the town. The out-of-town Downtown stores outside of Boston and Grantham would continue to trade.
2. World War II of garden furniture
At the height of the Battle of Britain when the Hurricane was the principal British fighter aircraft, Lieutenant Patton was a chemical engineering officer in the 1st Battalion, Corps of Royal Canadian Engineers, recently arrived in Britain and based at Boxhill, near Dorking, Surrey. On 21 September, at 8.30Â am when he was leading a team clearing debris at the bomb-damaged Vickers-Armstrongs aircraft factory at Brooklands near Weybridge, a lone Luftwaffe Junkers Ju88 attacked the Hawker Hurricane factory on the South-West side of Brooklands. Two of the three bombs dropped failed to explode and, despite having no previous experience of bomb disposal, Patton soon attended the scene. One unexploded bomb was buried under part of the factory floor but another had passed through the main building and ended up on an adjacent hardstanding. Patton decided that the unexploded bomb had to be removed as soon as possible before it damaged the vital factory, so with the help of four others (including his adjutant Captain Douglas W C Cunnington and Vickers Home Guard Section Leader A H Tilyard-Burrows ), he rolled it onto a sheet of corrugated iron and secured it to the back of a 15cwt truck. While Patton sat on the tailgate of the lorry to watch over the bomb, Cunnington towed the bomb out onto the aerodrome where it was then rolled very carefully into an existing bomb crater where it subsequently exploded harmlessly the next morning. Patton was awarded the George Cross for his bravery (Cunnington and Tilyard-Burrows were awarded the George Medal) and subsequently served in India and Burma fighting against the Japanese
3. Sources of garden furniture
Oberholster, J.J. Die historiese monumente van Suid-Afrika. Cape Town: Die Kultuurstigting Rembrandt van Rijn vir Die Raad vir Nasionale Gedenkwaardighede, 1972. .mw-parser-output cite.citationfont-style:inherit.mw-parser-output .citation qquotes:"""""""'""'".mw-parser-output .id-lock-free a,.mw-parser-output .citation .cs1-lock-free abackground-image:url("//upload.
org/wikipedia/commons/d/d6/Lock-gray-alt-2.svg");background-repeat:no-repeat;background-size:9px;background-position:right .1em center.mw-parser-output .id-lock-subscription a,.mw-parser-output .citation .cs1-lock-subscription abackground-image:url("//upload.
svg");background-repeat:no-repeat;background-size:9px;background-position:right .1em center.mw-parser-output .cs1-subscription,.mw-parser-output .cs1-registrationcolor:#555.mw-parser-output .cs1-subscription span,.mw-parser-output .cs1-registration spanborder-bottom:1px dotted;cursor:help.mw-parser-output .cs1-ws-icon abackground-image:url("//upload.
svg");background-repeat:no-repeat;background-size:12px;background-position:right .1em center.mw-parser-output code.cs1-codecolor:inherit;background:inherit;border:inherit;padding:inherit.mw-parser-output .cs1-hidden-errordisplay:none;font-size:100%.
cs1-maintdisplay:none;color:#33aa33;margin-left:0.3em.mw-parser-output .cs1-subscription,.mw-parser-output .cs1-registration,.mw-parser-output .cs1-formatfont-size:95%.mw-parser-output .cs1-kern-left,.mw-parser-output .cs1-kern-wl-leftpadding-left:0.2em.mw-parser-output .cs1-kern-right,.mw-parser-output .cs1-kern-wl-rightpadding-right:0.2em.mw-parser-output .citation .mw-selflinkfont-weight:inheritISBNÂ 0-620-00191-7
4. Van der Nootska Palace of garden furniture
Van der Nootska Palace (Swedish: van der Nootska palatset) is a palace located at Sankt Paulsgatan 21 in Sdermalm, Stockholm, Sweden.
The house was built in 1671-1672 by architect Mathias Spieler for the Dutch-born Swedish military officer Thomas van der Noot. The facade has pilasters and festoons and the middle part is decorated with mermaids in the sandstone. Two wings frame a small garden. The building was first used as a residence for various Dutch ministers. In 1740, a second building was erected that was used as a church for the Dutch Reformed Church. In 1770 it was made into a tobacco factory. In the late 19th century the building was in disrepair and was threatened with demolition.
The house was saved by Jean Jahnsson, owner of C.G. Hallberg, who turned it into a private residence. Architects for the renovation and expansion in 1903-1910 were IG Clason and Agi Lindegren. Jahnsson gathered a rich collection at the palace, including mainly Swedish silverware, a collection of hundreds of spoons from the 15th century onwards, porcelain, an unmatched collection of precious bejeweled gold boxes, Swedish miniatures, art furniture, Swedish engraving portraits and a library about much more than 100,000 volumes, including nearly complete collections of Swedish dramatic literature and Reformation writings, Swedish history books and documents etc. Jahnsson was hit hard by the Kreuger crash in the early 1930s, in which he was stripped of his wealth and forced to leave the Van der Nootska Palace and auction off most of the collections. Stensund Castle was sold to Carl Matthiessen, 1933, and the weapons collection auctioned off . The remainder of Jahnsson's collections from Van der Nootska, which mainly consisted of the Stockholmiana Collection, were donated in 1942 to the Stockholm City Museum of Axel Wenner-Gren, who in February 1938, had bought the Van der Nootska Palace. The Stockholmiana Collection consisted of about 5000 images and about 3000 books and pamphlets.
From 1940 the building was used by Sweden's Lotta unions who used it as a headquarters. In 1943, the building was renovated by architect Rolf Engstrom. Since 1988, the building has been used primarily for conferences and banqueting and is now owned by the City of Stockholm.
5. Work of garden furniture
In 1883, Frilli established his first and exclusive Atelier in via dei Fossi, Florence, where he worked with a few assistants on medium-size refined painted alabasters and big white Carrara marble statues for private villas and monumental cemeteries. His works decorate famous cemeteries such as Porte Sante and Allori in Florence. A marble portrait of Frilli was carved in his Atelier after his death, and it was placed on his family tomb in Cimitero degli Allori.
Frilli and his gallery were well known in Europe, the United States and Australia, as he took part in several world's fair exhibitions. He was in Philadelphia for the Centennial Exposition of 1876, and in 1881 his statues and garden furnitures were exhibited in the Italian Pavilion in Melbourne, Australia.
In 1904, two years after Frilli's death, his son Umberto took part in the Louisiana Purchase Exposition in St. Louis, Missouri, where one of his father's works a sculpture on a "Woman on a Hammock" in white Carrara marble won the Grand Prize and 6 gold medals. In 1999, the same masterpiece was sold by Sotheby's with an auction estimate of $800,000.
More recently, Frilli's 1892 sculpture "Sweet Dreams", which features a life-sized reclining nude in a hammock and which was exhibited at Panama-Pacific International Exposition in San Francisco in 1915, was sold at a Los Angeles auction house. A 2013 novel by Gary Rinehart, Nude Sleeping in a Hammock, is a fictionalized account of the statue's owners since 1892 and how the sculpture affected their fortunes.
6. Bertram House of garden furniture
The Bertram House (Afrikaans: Bertram Huis), located on Hiddingh Campus, of the University of Cape Town on Government Avenue, in Gardens, is the only surviving unpainted red brick two-story house left from early Georgian architecture in the city. The house has a special place in the history of the South African architecture. In 1962, it was declared a national monument, and today remains a provincial heritage site in accordance with the National Heritage Resources Act (25/1999).
In 1839, John Barker, an attorney who had emigrated from Yorkshire to Cape Colony in 1823, purchased the land. He built his family home there from 1839 to 1854 and named it after his wife, Ann Bertram Findlay, who had died in 1838. After the house passed through several families, the University of Cape Town used it for offices from 1903 onward. In 1930, the building became state property, and in 1976, it was placed at the disposal of the South African Cultural History Museum.
In 1983 and 1984, the building was thoroughly restored. Ornamental bricks were introduced and slate was imported from Wales to bring the facade to its original glory. At the same time, the interior was repainted in the original dark green and ocher. The lobby is decorated in the Regency style. Since then, it has operated as a museum.
The museum is the home of the Anne Lidderdale Collection, which includes Georgian furniture and English and Chinese porcelain donated by some of the leading English families of the early 19th-century Cape.
Nowadays, beadwork and postage stamps are exhibited, and the building is known for book launches and music concerts.